On Aug 29, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Leo M. wrote:
> Walter Davis wrote in post #1019034:
>> On Aug 29, 2011, at 8:43 AM, Leo M. wrote:
>>
>>> charset=UTF-8
>>> to receive the email I send to myself.
>>>
>>> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:45:06 +0200
>>> From: leo.mmcm@gmail.com
>>> To: sdpaoksdjf@gmailasd.ca
>>> Message-ID: <4e5b6db295886_6a0482f465146412f@e4r.local.mail>
>>> Subject: Iscrizione completa!
>>> Mime-Version: 1.0
>>> Content-Type: text/plain;
>>> charset=UTF-8
>>> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>>
>>
>> Is this mail being sent/received on a DSL/Cable modem? Your ISP may
>> be
>> filtering mail sent directly by your computer as an anti-spam
>> measure.
>>
>> Since you entered an intentionally garbled address as a testing
>> measure, then your localhost might not have been able to forward it
>> to
>> the next hop, and the error message may have come from whatever you
>> use for sendmail on your local computer.
>>
>> In the case of a well-formed message, your machine may have sent it
>> on
>> to the next mailserver in the chain, which would be your ISP, and
>> they
>> looked at it, decided you were not a real server, and dropped it on
>> the floor without comment.
>>
>> Now if you're sending from a real server with an MX record and
>> everything, then I have no idea.
>>
>> Walter
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> IMO what you say is likely, but right now it's somehow solved by
> itself
> :°)
> A pity though, I would have known where was the catch.
>
> Thanks
> Leo
Given what happened, I have yet another theory: My ISP (Speakeasy)
uses a method they call "graylisting" to cut down on spam. When they
receive an e-mail from an unknown or untrusted server, they send back
the WAIT(RandomNumberOfSeconds) command. Any real mail server knows
what to do with that, and they do. SpamBot2000 running on infected
Windows XP boxen (but I repeat myself!) don't, and the mail is dropped
on the floor. You may have just encountered the RandomNumberOfSeconds
here. When testing locally, I send to my MobileMe account, which seems
to process all mail nearly instantaneously. My Speakeasy account and
my Gmail account (which forwards into it) have the delay effect, so I
never can tell if my mailer is working.
Walter
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.
No comments:
Post a Comment