Ruby on Rails Tuesday, November 28, 2017

I need to install `rvm` on a new machine.
I would use `rvm` to switch to different ruby versions and gemsets required by different Ruby on Rails applications.

When a couple of years ago I installed rvm on my current Ubuntu machine, I did it with the following command:

$ \curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --rails --autolibs=enable


I notice now that rvm suggests to Ubuntu users to install rvm using the dedicated Ubuntu package.
However the documentation at RailsApp, where I initially found the advice of installing rvm, does not consider this option but instead uses the above curl command, as if it were considered a better choice. I wonder which one of the two options is preferable, and why.

Also in 2015 there was documentation like the above one that suggested to use the curl command with the --rails option instead of the --ruby option.
This suggestion was removed in the RailsApp documentation, and the --ruby option has instead taken its place.
I could not find much information on these options. What I understand is that they install respectively the last stable rails gem and the last stable ruby. If this is all they do, I suppose they are optional indeed, since Ruby can be installed later, and every Rails application has its own rails version in the Gemfile.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/2c90cfc6-66f4-4864-bbce-bdae09a18fc2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment