Ruby on Rails Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Hello!

I'm an experienced programmer, who's starting to use Ruby on Rails for the first time. I need some documentation that JUST explains how variable names are manipulated. Things I need to understand:

  • When Rails will automatically convert between CamelCase and snake_case  (like How does migrate know to break up Add_Foo_Bar_Baz_To_Buq as adding a FooBarBaz column to the Buq table, and what will it to with Add_Foo_To_Baz_To_Buq or Add_FooBarBaz_To_Buq?)
  • When Rails will automatically convert between singular and plural
  • What the correct (conventional) form is for variables/class names/DB tables columns/method names of various types
  • Given a name of a given form, what kind of thing does RoR think it is and where is RoR looking for it?
  • Stuff like that...

I don't need a book that explains how to write a program from scratch (I have a large one that I'm already working with). I don't need something that explains how Ruby works, I can learn the language on my own. I need a reference where I can look things up easily.

Also, if there is a better resource to ask this question, that would be great as well. There doesn't appear to be a Stack Exchange site for asking resource recommendation questions...


Thanks!


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/79d6984f-6138-44c7-8f0a-89585bb010d8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment