Ruby on Rails Thursday, July 18, 2019

My apologies but I have already reverted back to the snapshot.  It seemed that my setup in /sites-enabled/ was only setup with a default file that wasn't my original file after the upgrade.  The reference to my ruby path was also incorrect.  And I had to modify some permissions to log folders and such as redis-server couldn't start because it couldn't access some folders and files. I can't remember the other ones as an example, but I'm going to clone the server and try again while going ahead and backing up the config files I'm aware of... see if I could get further along this time.  I think I just need to backup my nginx.conf, and sites-enabled folder.  That should be enough to get me back up and going. I do like the idea of creating the new server and just getting up and going that way, but not sure my team mate in charge of the servers feels the same way *shrug*.  So I will try the upgrade again first.

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:34:46 PM UTC-4, Colin Law wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 19:15, David McDonald <dave...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have an ubuntu-server running version: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS.  I want to upgrade it to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.  I snapshotted my server and tried to upgrade it to 16.04, and then 18.04 but ran into some issues where it seems through the upgrades I lost some of my configuration files.  When prompted by Ubuntu through the upgrades I chose to keep the local versions but I guess it didn't ask about those configuration files.

Generally you should look at the diff in these cases as it may be you
had modified the original file and want to retain those mods. However
you should not just retain your original as there may be new stuff in
the new version that you need.  Having looked at the diffs you can
either use the new one, or apply your mods to the new one.

However you say the missing files are not ones you were asked about.
Can you give examples of those?

Colin

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/c2b1cf77-fb1e-4266-9536-47016716d1e1%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment