Ruby on Rails Friday, April 30, 2010

I have deployed several instances of a Rails application. I am now
considering how I might apply application updates to each of the
various instances. I would like the updates to be contained in some
sort of an archive like a tar archive. There are two types of files
to be included in the archive:

1) Files which should only be written if there is no corresponding
file in the installation. These would typically be new files that are
being added from the archive.
2) Files which should overwrite corresponding installed files only if
the archive file is newer than the installed file.

The problem is that the tar archive does not allow me to specify the
overwriting rule to be applied on a file by file basis. Thus unless
there is some way to do this that I don't know about, I would really
need 2 tar archives for each update. I see this as being unacceptably
cumbersome. I reason that there must be a better way. Does anyone
know what that better way is (possibly a different archiving tool)?
Thanks for any input.

... doug

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment