Ruby on Rails Monday, May 31, 2010

Geez, Marnen,

I don't see why people on a list focused on the most famous Ruby app
would view it beneath themselves to address a fundamental Ruby
question.

Incidentally, my question is, in fact, related to a Rails - a Rails
application. My client for the Rails app wants to change a bunch of
the app's field names. This is a job for a machine, say
ActiveScaffold, for example. However, despite the documentation from
ActiveScaffold.com and folks in the ActiveScaffold newsgroup, I still
don't have that running.

Hence, I wrote my own tool (in Ruby, of course), which I hope to
finish by tomorrow. But it's gotten complicated, which led to try
introducing Ruby Debug rather than puts debugging statements. For
this purpose, I was guided by Ruby Cookbook, O'Reilly, 2006.

I thought the RoR community might be sympathetic to a poor soul trying
to build a Rails-app administration tool.

Best wishes,
Richard

On May 31, 1:39 pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> RichardOnRails wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I've got a 7-liner:
> > require 'rubygems'
> > require 'breakpoint'
>
> > a = 'aaa'
> > b = 'bbb'
> > breakpoint
> > c = 'ccc'
>
> > In a Command window, I've got:
> > K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Ruby_Tests\TestBreakpoint>ruby TestBreakpoint.rb
> > Executing break point at TestBreakpoint.rb:9
> > irb(main):001:0> local_variables
> > => ["id", "block", "_"]
> > irb(main):002:0> quit
>
> > Why doesn't the array allegedly presenting local variables:
> > 1. Include a, b & c?
> > 2. Present the things it does; what do they signify?
>
> I don't know, but you're asking this question on the wrong list.  This
> is not a Rails question, and so should be directed to the main Ruby
> list.
>
>
>
> > I'm running Ruby 1.8.6 over WinXP-Pro/SP3
>
> > Thanks in Advance
> > Richard
>
> Best,
> --
> Marnen Laibow-Koserhttp://www.marnen.org
> mar...@marnen.org
> --
> Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment