Ruby on Rails Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'm reposting this here from my original post on Superuser[1], to
hopefully get more relevant feedback from more experienced RoR users.
I need to get a RoR environment up and running, because I have a
client that needs some RoR work done on her website. Although I'm new
to RoR, I'm a quick learner and was expecting installing and setting
up the environment was easy, so I could focus my effort on site
development. I've already spent five days trying to get the
environment up so I could just begin working. I'll probably have
follow up questions to this group (seems I can't get script/server to
work at all) - but for now, this is the immediate concern.

Update #3: Starting over from scratch, shortened this post, decided to
re-install a clean copy of Ubuntu 10.04 on a VM and go through the
walk-through[0] again. So, all the steps go without a hitch. As root:

root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-linux]
root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# gem -v
1.3.7
root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# rails -v
Rails 2.3.8
Now, as myself (in a separate term):

emptyset@ubuntu:~$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-linux]
emptyset@ubuntu:~$ gem -v
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:10:in `require': no such file
to load -- rubygems/defaults (LoadError)
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:10
from /usr/local/bin/gem:8:in `require'
from /usr/local/bin/gem:8
emptyset@ubuntu:~$ rails -v
bash: /usr/bin/rails: Permission denied

So, this appears to be a permissions issue, but I don't understand
why. Specifically, if I have to start making things go+rx all over the
place, I really need to understand which specific files need the
permissions change.

Site references:
[0] http://castilho.biz/blog/2010/05/08/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/
[1] http://superuser.com/questions/156498/installing-ruby-on-rails-on-ubuntu-10-04-a-living-nightmare

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment