Ruby on Rails Tuesday, August 31, 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser
<lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Interesting.  When I chose between Debian and Ubuntu about 4 years ago,
> part of my reason for choosing Ubuntu was reading that Ubuntu's package
> management was *more conservative* than Ubuntu's, and that as a result
> Ubuntu packages were *more stable* than Debian packages.  Did something
> change in those 4 years?
>
> (I've used both Debian and Ubuntu in that time and not noticed much
> difference.)

Well.. in the 12 years I've been using Debian, it has never once left
me with an un-bootable system. The software is frozen for several
months before a stable distro is released, and then updates only
contain security fixes, not new features. The only thing I've ever
found more stable than Debian is BSD, FreeBSD in particular has been
rock solid for me over the years. I usually use FreeBSD (or OpenBSD
if my hardware supports it) for my firewall servers where I don't even
trust Linux.

Ubuntu provides me with bleeding edge new versions of everything, just
like you would want for a modern desktop, but in turn has left me with
an un-bootable system many times. Their recent choice to go ahead
with Grub 2.0, for example, took down 5 developer machines where I
work a few months back.. and that was the 10.04 LTS distro that is
supposed to be long-term stable.

I've never once had to "fix" a Debian system after performing updates.
Ubuntu I've fixed more times that I can count.

I'm sure everyone's experience varies, but mine has been that Ubuntu
has much newer versions, and as a result is less stable than Debian
overall.


--
Greg Donald
destiney.com | gregdonald.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment