Ruby on Rails Sunday, October 31, 2010

I'm on the same situation, I know both Java and Ruby, and I am looking
for a language that I could use both for administration scripting and
web sites,

I tried a little bit both of Grails and Rails

Rails is easer to use, but it looks like LOTS of plugins/gems are no
more compatibles with the lasts versions of Ruby (1.9.2) and Rails
(3.0.1) (ex: the Qt4 binding for ruby), but I hope this will change with
time :)
Another thing that I don't really like about Rails is that I don't feel
like if I had control on the web stack, most of things are "magic" and I
don't always understand what it does on the background...
But rails has a perfect caching system and clustering way (memcached!),
it's also very easy to profile and debug.
And the most important: There is a HUGE community !

Grails also has some advantages, it's template engine if perfect (GSP)
(I like it really more than ERB, tag based templates are more clean),
and it includes ACEGI (the perfect authentication engine ;p) but the
caching system is really really poor (if not inexistent) and it's harder
to cluster (Terracotta), there is almost nobody on the IRC channel
(nobody speaks or ask questions) and the most important thing: GRAILS
LOVES RAM! (~500MB of RES memory for a simple blank web site
deployment..),
another thing non related to grails, for system scripting, the full
interpreter is really slow to start, and grails don't have access to low
level API like symlinks or chmod things)..
About Java itself, it have the advantages to be the language to use to
extends many big softwares like Zimbra or Alfresco

What do you think about that ?
Thank you

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment