Ruby on Rails Saturday, October 30, 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Michael Pavling <pavling@gmail.com> wrote:

On 29 October 2010 19:03, David Kahn <dk@structuralartistry.com> wrote:
> Why is Rails looking for a template while I have told it to render a
> specific file? This worked under Rails 2. I read
> http://www.engineyard.com/blog/2010/render-options-in-rails-3/ which from I
> gather makes any format.xxx look for a template xxx which is *not* what I
> need to do as the file is created dynamically:

I think you misunderstand that article.

Looks to me that instead of passing css filenames into the
"ActionController.add_renderer" block, you could just as easily pass
your actual dynamically generated PDF, and then have the "send_data"
call send your file.

Thanks Michael and Rob - you got me through this. The following works:

send_file "#{TEMP_DIRECTORY}/#{comparison.id}_#{params[:view]}.pdf", :stream => false, :type => 'application/pdf', :disposition => 'inline'


But I agree, it's certainly easier the just "render :file => foo_bar"

Right. I know there must be a good reason for a lot of these changes and at some point it will all come together the ponies and rainbows will appear. I am waiting semi-patiently for this moment :)

 
- which I do in some of my controller actions, and I've not moved to
Rails3 yet, so I'll be interested in your result.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment