Ruby on Rails Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #965154:
> Gregory Grimaux wrote in post #965148:
>> 0 down vote favorite
>>
>>
>> Hi, since several days I have this problem:
>>
>> For a few days it has worked and now I can't do it works again. I setup
>> a rails server on ubuntu with apache-2. I used a git repository to get
>> all new change. After I run
>> sudo rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=production
>
> You shouldn't be using sudo for that.
>
OK I will not used sudo in future.
>>
>> But after have restart apache server I can see that rails use the
>> development db and not the production while before it has used it.
>
> Then you have not set your RAILS_ENV environment variable correctly.
> You can usually do that in the Apache config file.
>
> I assume you're using Passenger (and if not, you should). If I remember
> correctly, there is info in the Passenger docs on how to do this.
>>

I'm using passenger with apache2. In my sites I set
RailsEnv production

So I think it should be OK.

>> MORE INFO:
>> While I'm trying to understand the problem I note something: When I
>> execute rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=production I can see that it create me
>> the production db.
>
> Right, because RAILS_ENV=production puts you in the production
> environment -- for that task only.
>
>> But if I add new value in db I can see it still used
>> development. I'm continuing my search on google :D. But if someone knows
>> the answer
>>
>> I don't really understand what can cause this. So i really appreciate
>> some help.
>
> Simple: as I explained above, environment variables are not being set
> correctly. When you specify an environment variable on the command
> line, it is only used for that command.
>
> Please gain a better understanding of how environment variable work in
> *nix.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by *nix maybe you're talking
about nginx
>
> Best,
> --
> Marnen Laibow-Koser
> http://www.marnen.org
> marnen@marnen.org

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment