Ruby on Rails Monday, February 28, 2011

If this is related to a personal development box I would say whatever
Linux distro you are happy that also meets your personal app
requirements and preferences. Rails run very well (and for all
intensive purposes is equally easy to install) on all of the major
Linux distros. So personally I would choose a distro based on what I
need and like and then lastly is rails compatible. For me that's
Ubuntu as I found the most help online when starting out in term of
howtos and blog post etc.

For pure server based production deployment I have CentOS and Ubuntu
on the top of my list

-
All the best
Angus | http://www.shuntyard.co.za/ (en)


On Feb 28, 3:11 pm, Culley Smith <culley.sm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recommend using rvm to install ruby and rails.  That way, whatever distro
> you use, you will be able to control your RoR installations.  I've tested
> RoR on Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Debian, and Fedora.  Of these, I ran into the
> most problems with Ubuntu.  I got things working just fine eventually, but
> Ubuntu had the most unmet dependencies and quirks.  This was using fresh
> installs of the most recent versions of each, but Ubuntu had older versions
> of some necessary packages, complicating things.
>
> So, using rvm on any of these installations should bypass many headaches you
> run into with differences in local versions.
>
> Culley
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:16 AM, radhames brito <rbri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Karthikeyan <mindas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hello Group,
>
> >> I want to start a project that uses Rails 3 and ruby 1.9.2 . with
> >> (Rmagick). Can any one tell me a Linux distro that supports these
> >> software seamlessly?
>
> > I have only used ubuntu and unbuntu server and all work flawlessly, I have
> > more problem on macosx than in ubuntu, because not everything i need is
> > found in Homebrew.
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment