Ruby on Rails Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Robert Walker wrote in post #1058190:
> If every method, of
> every class, were fully documented by the team building Rails then
> nothing would ever get done.

This is the perenail excuse - It's too big, so we just won't bother.

I have been learning for a while now, and my journey started with Ruby.
I am reading that RoR is falling out of fashion. I think the reason for
that is all the problems + lack of proper documentation. Possibly also
the meandering development, which seems to follow no logic.

STOP! Stop adding bits on and go back and tidy up the mess.

R/RoR is a disaster as compared to other programming languages, and
unless it gets things (a) working and (b) documented, it will fall to
the next big thing (node?).

All those screencasts I watched with machines that were already set up
with 123 steps done, so they didn't splutter errors every step of the
way, which is the ACTUAL experience that anyone new to R/RoR will have.

I say this at the end of a day spent yet again fighting RoR. The asnwers
I needed I found in some obscure forum, "oh error 6571, yeah that one!
Yeah well you do these 10 steps, then do that, do this, bind this with
that, run bundler, edit the config.yml with the string you get at such
and such's blog..." etc etc.

It's a total mess. If the community wants to be taken in any way
seriously they should stop all development, fix it, document it and get
it installing and (within reason) able to be used in production. For me
it has been nothing but one bloody problem over another since I started
on this 3 months ago. C++ was much, much easier (15 years ago). Your
community is a fragmented mess too frankly.

Sorry, just had to get it out - Sergie just confirmed what I have been
trying to lie to myself about.

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment