Ruby on Rails Friday, August 31, 2012

Colin,
    You had referred me to this link:
I thought it would be a good idea to learn this in a linux environment.  My apps on the web will be in Linux.  I setup a virtualbox for Windows and installed Ubuntu Server 12.04.  This part I did separately as I was learning Linux for web development. 
I got all the way down to starting the WEBrick server, with everything looking good and it said that it is running on port 3000.  And I should be able to browse to http://localhost:3000
and I get "Unable to Connect"
 
which was shown in the terminal window.
 
Since, I currently only have the server and not the gui for Linux Ubuntu, I thought I should be able to see this from my host operating system, Windows. 
Also, when I installed phpmyadmin, the instructor said that we should be able to get there using http://localhost:8080/phpmyadmin/
If I leave off the phpmyadmin, the page that comes up shows that the server is running and I get a message that just says "It works" – a bit of code to show that things are working. 
The instructor has us install this in the folder /etc/phpadmin
but when we installed Symfony, we were supposed to use folder /media/sf_sandbox/ 
I tried to get to that folder and was told I didn't have permission.  I couldn't use sudo cd as that just said that cd is not recognized. 
 
So, I obviously have rvm, ruby and gems installed but nothing beyond that is working in the way of getting a ruby on rails test app running.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Bruce

Colin
27 August 2012 at 9:26 PM, Dheeraj Kumar wrote:
@Colin:
 
Railsready can be used for any environment. The only thing it installs that is not usually used for a development environment is Passenger. Railsready is great because it simplifies the task of installing dependencies. I've done it manually, and this is so much more fun :)
 
 
Dheeraj Kumar
 

On Monday 27 August 2012 at 9:12 PM, Colin Law wrote:

On 27 August 2012 16:17, Dheeraj Kumar <a.dheeraj.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bruce,
 
I can understand the problems you're going through, as I've faced them
myself. They stem from some misconceptions about the language & the
framework.
 
Getting started with rails is probably the easiest thing to do out of all
the language stacks available. If you're using OSX or Linux, use
https://github.com/joshfng/railsready on a fresh install of your OS, and
you're set.
 
I have not met that one, it seems as if it may be more geared towards
a production server than development. I believe most would not use
passenger, nginx or apache on development machines.
 
This one looks like a reasonable alternative tutorial for installing
 
Colin
 
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment