Ruby on Rails Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hello,

 

This is my first post here! I`m a computer engineering with almost no formation in web Development. What I do know, is software engineering/architecture, Java and C/C++. I also have had some foundation in XHTML/CSS.

 

So, this said, a friend came to me asking to develop a Website similar to eBay/Amazon/etc., I know it`s a huge project, so i don't want to develop it with SQL, PHP, HTML. I want to use some Modern technology... I`ve read about a few of them:

 

 

MVC -> facilitates the development of website by handling all those "complicated" language (SQL, PHP, HTML) and it`s connection automatically by the use of some language:

  • Java -> JSF
  • Ruby -> RubyOnRails
  • Python -> Django

CMS -> facilitates the development of website by templates; in other words, it has many templates of many kinds of websites and those templates can be customized.

  • drupal
  • joomla

 

The project has six months to be developed, at least a first working prototype. In addition, there is going to be two or three programmers doing it in their free time.

 

I do know some of the strengths and weakness of each MVC/CMS.... the CMS is faster to develop, but it`s less customizable... From what I`ve heard of my friends project, it`s not a common website, it`ll provide a lot more than eBay/etc. So I`m afraid of using CMS.

 

Most of all, the project should be modular; in other words, it must be possible to add new tools to the website after its completion.

 

If anyone has something to add, suggest or ask, please feel free.

 

Thanks in advance.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/81c350d6-60e8-40dd-97f6-1565111f67bd%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment