Ruby on Rails Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Hello you all, hope you're all having some nice holidays! :p

Here is the deal with me: incompatible character encodings: UTF-8 and ASCII-8BIT
I used a seed (https://github.com/celsodantas/br_populate) to populate my DB with cities and states of my country, so I can fill a select box for registering, but when I try to exhibit it I get this error:

incompatible character encodings: UTF-8 and ASCII-8BIT

this is one of my select_boxes:
<%= f.collection_select(:birth_state, State.all, :id, :name, {:prompt => "State"}, {:class=> 'form-control'}) %>

And also I'm using a mysql database, with the mysql gem, and I have seen some records like:
<City id: 5560, name: "Xambio\xC3\xA1", capital: false, state_id: 27,..>

Making me think it's a problem cause of special portuguese characters like ç, á, à, ã... I have heard also that mysql/rails doesn't convert automatically the encodings or something like that, but honestly I have no clue on how doing that. If anyone got a clue, happy to hear it.

Thank you all in advance!
Happy holidays,


Diego Dillenburg Bueno
Graduando em Ciências da Computação
UNESP - Rio Claro
(12) 98116-7741

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAOHSkmGbrhfwRgtr_c2gxU%3DnK-PnOwzgMGxLDpTPaQRpVSTGcQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment