Ruby on Rails Thursday, September 3, 2015

If you're looking at something social network directed, and are ok with a monthly subscription cost, TeamTreehouse.com has rails tutorials that focus on building a social networking site closer to facebook.  (The Rails tutorial mentioned by others builds a twitter clone). 



On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 12:01:31 AM UTC-7, J. Hardesty wrote:
I'm sure just the thought of another Social Network site makes you shudder. Trust me, I have no desire to create the next Facebook. However, I do have an idea that will fulfill a need in an offbeat niche that isn't being met. I've tried in the past to pay people to do the work but that didn't work out.

Now I find myself unexpectedly unemployed and thus with some time on my workaholic hands. I do happen to be a programmer by trade, though my "day job" has kept me out of mainstream programming for a while. I'm overly familiar with Tcl and I know enough PHP to do some serious damage to something -- No, seriously.  It's like Spanish. I could probably wing my way through reading it okay but writing it on my own without backup probably would lead to an International incident. :P

So, anyway, I saw there was an actual book on Ruby on Rails that was basically a tutorial with the end result being a basic social networking site. I like the idea of having something other than "Hello, World" blinking on my screen. However, reviews indicated it was very out of date because Rails has had new versions which have caused huge differences between what's in the book and what's in the current version. I get it.

So, my question is: Are there any tutorials or books that step-through the basics and teach RoR in a practical methodology so the end result is building blocks that the student can clearly apply or even where the end result is actually a working useful application -- preferably something like a social network? :P

I am highly motivated.  As I mentioned I have both time on my hands and what I think is going to be a very popular, possibly profitable idea. If someone were willing to work with me and teach me, I would be willing to share in the rewards.

J

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/508d51f4-547d-4bf4-be00-7c675d345b6f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment