Ruby on Rails Tuesday, December 29, 2015

'krfg' via Ruby on Rails: Talk <rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 4:38:47 AM UTC+1, tamouse wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> What happened when you tried creating a new test application?
>>
>>
> I am sorry but if you do not mind I need some instruction on how to
> recreate same conditions in a test app. I feel and am a bit awkward at this
> stage.
> As far as I understood you want me to create a test app with sign up page,
> see if it works and then recreate the issue that the original app is having.

The problem as you've stated it is that your first user gets id=2. The
point of the test is to find the minimum set of conditions that
reproduce that behaviour so you can see why it's happening. My thought
was (and this is just what I did) to in a new directory, simply run the
rails new command to create a new rails app, generate a scaffold with a
model with one field, and check what happens locally to make sure it
works. Then prepare the app for heroku, create a new app at heroku for
this test app, and run it on heroku and see what happens. Then
progressively add to the test app until or if you see the same behaviour of
the first user id starting at 2 instead of 1. However, as you've shown,
regular heroku users don't have the permission to drop the database and
recreate it, which makes it a bit more complex. As an alternative to
that, you can instead destroy the heroku app and create another.

> I am using Cloud9 as a development environment, and I am working on a
> private workspace.
> Cloud9 provides free accounts with only 1 private workspace and unlimited
> public workspaces.
> I may choose to create a new public workspace for my test app or using the
> same workspace I have been using so far and which is hosting 3 different
> apps overall.
> What solution best suits me?

I have no idea what best suits you in this scenario; it's really up to
you. I think, though, you may just be overthinking this. It's just a
test app, it's not going to be around long, does it really matter?

The only possible consideration I would have, is that since you are
publicy sharing with us this problem, if you put it on a public
workspace, there's just the possibility that someone else can pair with
you, look at it, and possibly spot the issue.

> I also have to consider that free accounts at Heroku allow only 5 apps, but
> I suppose I can eventually destroy my test app both in my workspace and at
> Heroku.

You can create and destroy heroku apps many times a day, really.

Here's the thing about this: in every test I've personally run to try to
recreate your problem, I've never been able to reproduce it. It's
definitely not an issue strictly with heroku, rails, or postgres, that I
can find. At this point, since you are not deleting your data base, I'm
quite unsure how you are even getting them to consistently start at 2
instead of 1, or really by this time, depending on how many times you've
tested this, even higher numbers.

--
Tamara Temple
tamouse@gmail.com
http://www.tamouse.org

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/m2io3hqf8c.fsf%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment