Ruby on Rails Thursday, June 22, 2017

OK, understood. I think it should be possible to set the nice value
for sidekiq so that it only uses the processor when it is not doing
other things, but I don't have experience of doing that, and google
does not immediately come up with anything helpful.

Colin

On 22 June 2017 at 21:10, David McDonald <daveomcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Colin, when I say it gets to ~80+% what I meant to get across is, for a
> 1 minute PDF Generation, it would start around 20% and quickly built to 80 -
> then 95 - and eventually go to 100% towards the end. I've noticed that many
> other users will have the application slow down dramatically during the
> generation of such a PDF. It would cause much longer page loads and if they
> too were going to generate a PDF document then it would make problems worse.
> I have been attempting to background the process on Sidekiq - and am having
> another issue with it at the moment preventing me from seeing how it behaves
> in that procedure. Though with it all using the same CPU I was guessing it
> wouldn't change much from what I'm already experiencing.
>
> On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 3:45:00 PM UTC-4, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 22 June 2017 at 17:08, David McDonald <dave...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I've started to use wicked_pdf and it works fine. However, when I
>> > generate
>> > a PDF files, usually the CPU will get to ~80+% during the generation of
>> > the
>> > PDF by the wicked_pdf gem. What's the proper way of handling this in my
>> > application? I've asked around on IRC chat, stack overflow, etc, but I
>> > haven't been able to acquire a good answer. People have told me to use
>> > Sidekiq, which I have, but this won't resolve my CPU issue unless I've
>> > put
>> > the job processes onto another machine it would seem. Is there another
>> > way
>> > of handling this using my one server?
>>
>> Why is the fact that PDF generation can use 80% of the processor a
>> problem? There will still be 20% available for Rails, or is that not
>> enough to give you the performance you require? Linux is pretty good
>> at balancing processes and threads and the processor is there to be
>> used after all. Provided you have shelved it off into a background
>> process using something like sidekiq then it may well not be an issue.
>> Try it and see. if it becomes an issue then you can look at more
>> complex solutions. My philosophy is always to start off using the
>> KISS principle.
>>
>> Colin
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/c3885f81-ea1a-4fc6-a396-f798a2c5862e%40googlegroups.com.
>
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAL%3D0gLvMhtV%3DYxyJhLVozTq69-qTTqqO6Czr5h-MmMkqJ3K%3DWg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment