Ruby on Rails Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hi :)

confused again:
My first question here is a bit less connected to the original post's
subject, so @Jeremy - I apologise..

@Marnen: Just read this again:
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_frm/thread/55bdcc2ee8fb0c3e/72613f954c70a9f2?#72613f954c70a9f2

After reading your reply, I thought I should give it a try to
Passenger, but according to this I should be using VM while I just
understood from the previous answer I do not have to (as I wrote
before, will move to VM gladly, but just trying to understand first)

Also another question about Heroku -
being a host, I was wondering why would it guide me to point my DNS
server to Heroku, Zerigo being recommended?
Do I need to purchase separately a DNS service when deploying to
Heroku?
Or is it again my lack of understading of an additional functionality?

(was looking on this page here:
http://docs.heroku.com/custom-domains#dns-setup
)


Thanks again :)


Best,
Nin.

On Jun 30, 4:08 pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> newcomer wrote:
> > Hi Jeremy and everyone :)
>
> > Found myself following this discussion and all the great informative
> > answers supplied here. I am too in a learning process with my first
> > app, very much a Newbie (in RoR and Web in general, though have a
> > programming experience) and lately have been trying to figure out the
> > deployment process, terms, and sort of 'what belongs where' :)
>
> Welcome!
>
> [...]
>
> > I'm currently developing on Windows..  started with using InstantRails
> > and installed Git on Cygwin. This allowed me to experiment with some
> > developing locally, begin with local version control and git-clone
> > repositories for plugins/Gems.
> > As I read some more, I realized I'd probably want to deploy my App on
> > a Linux/Unix based server rather than a Windows one and that
> > developing on windows and deploying on Linux (the way I initially
> > started developing) might not be a good idea at all.
> > Therefore I decided to install VM on my Windows machine.. have seen
> > some posts lately on the subject.. currently I just installed VMWare
> > Player (had to use version 2.5, my CPU wasn t compatible with 3.1) but
> > have thoughts of maybe trying VirtualRails instead (if it works on my
> > machine) I did see VirtualRails is using MintLinux-based Linux and
> > was wondering whether that might cause future problems (as opposed to
> > using Ubuntu for example)?
>
> I doubt that that would be a problem.  I develop on Mac OS X (which is
> BSD, not Linux) and routinely deploy to Linux servers without any
> problem.
>
> [...]
>
> > Ok deployment questions:
> > I couldn't understand for sure whether I need both a host and a place
> > to deploy my App?
>
> No.  A host is a place to deploy your app.  Same thing.
>
> [...]
>
> > I mean it didn't make sense I'd use both Passenger and Capistrano
> > (probably it does but I understood they're both used for deployment,
> > thus the confusion..), unless Capistrano does both automated
> > deployment but can also be used when using a different deployment
> > service..
>
> They are different tools for different purposes.  Capistrano takes care
> of putting your app on the server, while Passenger serves it once it's
> there.
>
> > I feel and know I mix everything up here, but any light you can put
> > for me on this subject will be very helpful..
> > Was also confused by the fact Phusion Passenger offers "Phusion
> > Passenger for Nginx".. while I got the impression (obviously a wrong
> > one, or not full) I can deploy my app on Nginx as well?
> > At least I heard people mentioning Nginx at the same sentence with
> > Heroku and Passenger..
>
> Apache and Nginx are Web server programs.  By themselves, they just
> serve static files without any server-side dynamic content.  This is
> great for serving static websites, but obviously will not work if you're
> using a server-side programming language like PHP or Ruby.  For Apache
> or Nginx to run PHP/Ruby/Python/whatever applications, it needs a module
> to connect it to the appropriate interpreter.  That's basically what
> Passenger does.
>
> In other words, you need Passenger (or something similar, but Passenger
> is probably simplest) in order for Apache or Nginx to talk to the Ruby
> interpreter.  Passenger is available either as an Apache module or as an
> Nginx module.
>
> > This brings me to another question:
> > I also understood I can use heroku for deployment, which will require
> > not more than one git push every once in a while (of course I know
> > there's much more to it, but it was to explain me the ease of use)..
> > in case I do use heroku (couldn't find any cons to using it I should
> > be aware of, if someone can write a few from his/her experience, I'll
> > be glad to learn..) can I git push from my local repository or do I
> > need first to push to a remote one, such as a public/private
> > repository on GitHub?
>
> You can git push from anywhere.  Heroku doesn't care.
>
> > Moreover, if I'm the only one playing around
> > with this app right now what benefits can a GitHub repository give
> > me comparing to using it locally?
>
> It gives you another copy of the code stored offsite.
>
> [...]
>
> > More about Heroku if I choose to use it, do I need a host as well?
>
> Heroku *is* a host.
>
> Best,
> --
> Marnen Laibow-Koserhttp://www.marnen.org
> mar...@marnen.org
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment