Ruby on Rails Thursday, August 15, 2013

Greets!

I was wondering if there might be any pitfalls I should be aware of in
order to create a domain based white label app.

By that I mean, a single app that will change the layout/css/routes of
an app depending on the domain name that accesses it

example.com gets example.css, layouts/example-application.html.erb, and
whatever /slug-names the user defines for URL friendly CMS pages

foobar.com would get foobar.css, layouts/foobar-application.html.erb,
and it's /slug-names


My reasoning for wanting to do this:

1) The app functionality is the same for all clients, say they are all
book stores. Everyone has a book search of local inventory, a CMS to
edit content and create /seo-friendly-slugs, and a shopping cart

1b) I have 8 people now on individual apps, but if this grows I don't
want to fix bugs across x00 apps

2) None of the clients get a ton of traffic, however I have to run at
least 1 instance of each app all the time so no one has to deal with a
first load rails boot. It would be nice if I could have x instances of
1 app running serving requests for all the domains. This would let me
fill up my VPS and handle spikes from any source while not having to
worry about keeping the seat warm for low traffic domains

I realize this means I will have to have a bunch of if/case/lookup
statements sprinkled about the app to handle all of the switching of
layouts/views/css/(potentially js). I'll also need some lookup for the
"dynamic routes" to check if /about/foobar exists for example.com, if so
show the content otherwise display a 404.

Would Redis make sense for this kind of stuff, or should I create some
yml configs to hold all of this?

I am not a seasoned veteran, only have 2 years of experience with Rails,
am I nuts, biting off more than I can chew, or sounds reasonable enough
to proceed?

Thanks for any advice
-Rick

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/02a0306b3780135b9b0fdee65500e970%40ruby-forum.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment