Ruby on Rails Monday, March 31, 2014

Hello all,


I'm moving to Rails from another OO language where I've built my own extensive CMS systems - and I'm the kind of guy who learns by breaking things and figuring out why they broke. Strange method but true - I guess I'm just the impatient sort :)

Since I'm most familiar with CMS architecture and multi-level user/group/authenicated access systems I thought it logical to start with a Rails CMS app to see how its put together there. Naturally I'm at a loss where to start because there seem to be a lot of them.

Initially I was interested in BrowserCMS because of its in-page editing (neat) and group-based access model, but although it says its Rails 4 compatible, when I load the gem it downloads a whole slew of Rails 3.2 gems to support it - leading me to believe its not truly Rails 4 ready. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Now I'm considering Comfortable Mexican Sofa because its really seems to be actively developed and does seem to function as a plug-in instead of a self-enclosed system (leaving me more to mess around with), though it seems to lack a robust user system (though from what I have read "there's a gem for that").

I've looked at Refinery (seems really out of date) and locomotive and a few others. Comfy seems the only one that is making an effort to stay up with the latest rails. I may be wrong - just an initial impression. 

Any thoughts? Just looking for an impartial recommendation for an "experienced newbie" as it were.


Best,

Peter Bethke

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/2aee26f4-966f-40e5-8596-dbe5163d5a83%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment