Ruby on Rails Wednesday, October 29, 2014

On 29 October 2014 18:22, Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.org> wrote:
> I volunteer for a non-profit with a Ruby on Rails app and they recently lost
> their web developer. I have done a lot of programming from Perl to PHP and
> ASP, but never RoR. I've become somewhat familiar and been able to track
> down and make some cosmetic changes to some of the apps web pages, but I
> wanted to make sure what versions I'm dealing with and having a problem
> finding the Rails version. I found some instruction on how to determine and
> see we have ruby 1.9.3, but there is no rails command and not on the gems
> list, see below. How do I find my rails version?
>
> root@app01:~/www# ruby -v
> ruby 1.9.3p392 (2013-02-22 revision 39386) [x86_64-linux]
> root@app01:~/www# rails -v
> rbenv: rails: command not found
>
> The `rails' command exists in these Ruby versions:
> 1.9.3-p448
>
> root@app01:~/www# gem list
>
> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
>
> activemodel (4.0.0)

That tells you it is rails 4.0.0 as activemodel is one of the
components. However, rather than seeing what versions are installed
(there could be more than one version of the gems installed) look in
the file Gemfile.lock in the applications root folder and you will see
what versions it /requires/.

I suggest you work right through a good tutorial such as
railstutorial.org (which is free to use online) which will show you
the basics of rails. A few days spend doing that will save you time
in the long run.

>
> This install is on a Ubuntu VPS using the nginx web server, I would like to
> get a copy of the app running on a local Ubuntu server I have in my office,
> but I am only running Apache on it now and would like to possibly run the
> app on Apache versus installing nginx. Hopefully I can do that once I have
> all my version information, but I'm also reading several different ways to
> install Rails, and what is passenger? The service to start nginx on the VPS
> is nginx-passenger. Any advice on the best way for me to go about getting my
> own copy of the app running would be appreciated. I have a copy of its MySQL
> db copied and loaded already, just need to get the app working.

If you want this for development work then I suggest you install rails
using rvm [1]
That will give you a complete working setup in a few minutes.

Colin

[1]rvm.io

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAL%3D0gLuPrZ1EwZjeWPrUqbN%3DcXO9wfZUdQr82Q4LGC42GsFWTw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment