Ruby on Rails Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hi

First off, I'm using Ruby 1.9.1p378 and Rails 2.3.8.

I was creating a minimal application to test handling of Norwegian special characters when I bumped into this strange problem...

I have a simple Car model with fields maker:string and model:string.
For the controller I planned to just have an index action do all the work:

class CarsController < ApplicationController
  def index
    if request.post?
      @car = Car.new(params[:car])
      @car.save
    end
    @cars = Car.find(:all)
  end
#  def create
#    @car = Car.new(params[:car])
#    @car.save
#    redirect_to :action => :index
#  end
end

The corresponding view lists all car models and displays a form to support the addition of new car models:
<h1>Cars</h1>
<table>
  <th>maker</th><th>model</th>
  <% @cars.each do |car| %>
    <tr>
      <td><%= car.maker %></td>
      <td><%= car.model %></td>
    <td>
  <% end %>
</table>

<% form_for(:car, :url => { :action => "index" }) do |f| %>
  <p>
    <%= f.label :maker %>
    <%= f.text_field :maker %>
  </p>
  <p>
    <%= f.label :model %>
    <%= f.text_field :model %>
  </p>
  <p>
    <%= f.submit 'Add' %>
  </p>
<% end %>

Now, this works fine..... until I submit special characters in one of the fields.
If I for example write "Dodge" and "Børnout" in the form fields, I get an error like this:

Encoding::CompatibilityError in Cars#index

Showing app/views/cars/index.html.erb where line #19 raised:

incompatible character encodings: UTF-8 and ASCII-8BIT

Extracted source (around line #19):

16:   </p>
17: <p>
18: <%= f.label :model %>
19: <%= f.text_field :model %>
20: </p>
21: <p>
22: <%= f.submit 'Add' %>

But, the entry is added correctly to the database anyway, so if I just reload http://localhost:3000/cars, I do see the new entry.
OK, I thought... I've read quite a few places that there have been (and still are) various issues with support for Unicode in the different Ruby/Rails version combinations, so I figured that I just didn't have the best combination for this.
But then I temporarily built a new application by using generate scaffold, and it all works fine there.
After some trying and failing I discovered that if I (in my original solution) changed the form_for :url option to :action => "create" and added a create action in the controller file (commented out in the above controller source), it works with special characters and all.

So the only difference is that the form posts the data to the create action instead of the index action, and then it works.

I just don't get it! :o/

Anyone has an explanation to offer?
Would be much appreciated! :o)

Kind regards,
Rolf

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment